9/20/2016

School Update


This week is a Sabbath Week! Woohoo! We have 6 weeks under our belts! Unfortunately, the first day of our break didn't go so well. I was talking to a few friends last night and their advice was to have a little more structure to our days this week. So I'm going to try that today and see if it helps. That means I might not get done all I want to though. *sob* #itsallaboutme


This was how we started our morning yesterday. Littlest's foot was run over by a bike. :( He still refuses to walk on it.


Overall school is going well. Overall. We've had a few rough patches, but I'm trying to remember that #1. It's my job to keep morale high and #2. Meltdowns Are an Opportunity! (Link to Afterthoughts blog)

And when I say it's "my job to keep morale high" I don't mean "keep my kids happy." I mean, it's my responsibility to not get ruffled or offended when things don't go as planned or the kids don't behave the way I want them to.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Ahem.


 Oldest is learning cursive. :) (we're using HWT)


I'm trying to keep things moving in our day and not get discouraged when we hit a bump. This is maybe the hardest part of homeschooling, no?

Last week, we were having such a rough morning that I actually took the kids to Walmart for a break. Yep. It was that bad.

The funny(?) thing is, both girls actually like school--after we've started. It's the starting that's the hardest part. They love almost all their book selections and Middlest (below), for the most part, even enjoys copywork and math! (I hope that sticks.) Oldest has run up to me on more than one occasion in the middle of one her readings to tell me something "really cool" she's reading about!

It's a struggle to get them going though - for each subject. I know it will get better.

Circle Time readings. Look at that sweet smile. She looks so innocent, doesn't she? ;)

 Circle Time - our favorite part of the day

A few practical things that help me:
  • not yell - remaining calm is most important and I'm actually doing ok at this. *shines lapel*
  • don't micro-manage - I have to let a lot of things go or I'll spend every waking moment playing referee. 
  • don't worry about checking the boxes

When I'm so focused on checking off the boxes, I get more stressed and that just makes me more irritable. That said, I still need my boxes and schedule in front of me to keep me from getting Decision Fatigue. I'm just not stressing if they don't get checked.

Another thing I'm trying to remind myself of is Middlest (who's in her first official year of school) is still learning the ropes and for goodness' sake! Be gentle on her, Catie! 

The great thing is, school itself is wonderful. We're reading great books like, Pagoo, Herriot's Treasury, Chronicles of Narnia... I mean, does it get any better??

And I love the Charlotte Mason method; narrating, short lessons, lots of time outside. It's really the perfect way to homeschool, in my opinion. And I think (hope?) that even though the girls sometimes give me a hard time now, they'll look back and be thankful for the way we chose to school. :)

 Taking a day off to go to our local state park. :) Love these kids. 

God is good! 

How is your school going so far?

1 comment:

  1. Love the update! I'm the same as you - getting started can sometimes be hard (for us it's mostly because the baby (she's one now!) is fussing or destroying the house), and we seem to hit lots of bumps which makes me want to sometimes just throw in the towel! Oh, and micro-managing, yes I have that problem, too!

    I'm sure your kiddos are learning so much. I'm curious to hear how (or if) you're combining your girls, besides your circle time. I'm already thinking about next year when my girls will be in 3rd and 1st.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!