7/29/2016

Book Review: Breaking Busy

Breaking Busy: How to Find Peace and Purpose in a World of CrazyBreaking Busy: How to Find Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy by Alli Worthington
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book exceeded my expectations! I thought it was just going to be another book about not being busy in this era of extreme business. While it was that, it was also about the enormous effect the Holy Spirit has (or should have!) on our need to feel busy. I was not expecting it to be such a "Christian" book, and I loved that it was. :) She really encourages you to "seek God first, then all these things shall be added."

So, she touches a LOT on the spiritual side of things, but she also offers so much practical applications! Like, steps to take and everything! So. good. How to make decisions when you're faced with an opportunity, how to deal with technology, how to change your thinking, etc.

Breaking Busy is only a little over 200 pages and took me just a few days to read, but it really packs a punch!

This book was perfect timing for me; I've been feeling a bit too busy lately and this book was the inspiration I needed to see things more clearly.

A few of my fave quotes from the book:
"...I think as women we've convinced ourselves that being busy is a badge of honor."

"But social networking, texting, and phones, all designed to allow us to communicate more freely with one another, have become anything but freeing. People believe they have constant access to us, blurring all sense of appropriate boundaries..."

"The pull of the electronic tether on our lives is strong and has done more to hurt communication, real honest-to-goodness communication, than I think most of us realize."

Guilt, that sense of conviction that comes over us when we do something wrong, is healthy and moves us toward positive change. Shame, however, drives us into a never-ending cycle of trying to fix ourselves, to prove to the world and ourselves that we are not inherently flawed, that we have value. ... Jesus's redemptive love, his saving grace and his forgiveness are what make us worthy.

I highly recommend this book!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!