3/29/2016

Changing Diapers

Oldest's Shakespeare Drawn Narration.
 
I'm often self-deprecating. One, because it's funny, and Two, because I think it makes me seem more approachable. Not that I try to be self-deprecating, but I have thought about it and I think I'm so quick to make fun of myself because I put my pants on the same way you do. One arm at a time. And I think we all need people in our lives to make us feel normal.

That said, I'm writing today to confess something that may make me seem awesome not be popular in Stay At Home Mom circles. I hope it doesn't sound too braggy. Just keepin it real, homies.


Are you ready?

I don't mind changing diapers. 

There. I said it.

I don't think it's mundane.

I don't get tired of it.

And I don't think it makes me obsolete.

I also don't get tired of doing laundry. Or the dishes. Or any other QUOTE UNQUOTE Mundane Task.

That doesn't mean that I *enjoy* them. I don't particularly like doing the dishes,

BUT

I don't think it doesn't matter. 

OF COURSE IT MATTERS.


OF COURSE CHANGING YOUR SWEET TODDLER'S BABY'S DIAPER MATTERS!! And it's not easy! It's hard to stay at home with all your kids, and homeschool, and keep up with laundry and dishes and train attitudes, hearts, actions, and keepyoursanity andbeagreatfriendandwifeandmotheranditmightneverend!?

None of this is to say that I enjoy every second of every day. We all know I don't. 

HOWEVER.

I never think, "UGH! Seriously!? I have to change your diaper AGAIN!?"

Maybe it's because I worked so long before I had kids and never felt like I was Doing Anything. Or maybe it's because I wasted so many years doing My Own Thing. I don't know. 

But I put my chubby toddler baby on the floor. I (get to) tickle his neck. I (get to) blow raspberries on his belly, I (get to) listen to his adorable giggles that I wish I could bottle up, and I make his dirty bum clean once again. Then he runs off to chase his sisters around the dining room table with a sword.

And it feels good.

And I'm thankful that *I* get to do it. 

He knows he's taken care of and his needs are met. He feels safe and secure and loved. 
 
Moms, what you're doing MATTERS deeply.


What do you enjoy or not find difficult doing that some people would think is weird?

(Just to keep it real--I do have a harder time with the emotional aspect of parenting. We all have struggles! The Lord is working on me faithfully, though.)

5 comments:

  1. I miss the days of changing diapers, truly. I used to give kisses on their necks and blow raspberries on their tummies, too!-- and do this little game I probably made up one day and would say, "Whose toes are those? Whose knees are these?" And then kiss and tickle their toes and knees, too. LOVED that stage. So glad you're treasuring it, Catie! (((Hugs to you)))
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post, girlie! Thanks for this! You've got me thinking. I need to choose contentment more at times, for sure. I really do enjoy home educating. Overall, it's my favorite thing to do with my children. Thank you, CM, right? I overall enjoy being a stay at home mom. If I never have to punch a time clock, that's fine by me. Those are probably considered weird by some people. The "on-all-the-time" mentally for me with 7 people needing me is hard, but hmmm..you really have me thinking. You confirmed some stuff that the Lord is been showing me about thankfulness and contentment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same, although lately bath/shower time for my girls has been a chore that I dread, but yesterday, after I finished with my second daughter, she turned to me and said, 'thank you, mommy, I feel much better', which was nice to hear.
    I enjoy homemaking and home-educating even though I know it does not allow me to do other things I might prefer. This is important work and my husband and I want to do it ourselves, believing we have been called to do it ourselves.
    Thanks for sharing this. It is very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I love your sense of humor. It was the first thing I noticed about you and made want to keep up with you online. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!