11/17/2015

Obscure Movies I've Seen and Love...Mostly


A thread on the AO Forum got me thinking about all of the obscure movies I've seen. Most of them I saw as a child/teen. But I still love'em today! Well, most of them.


Green Card (1991) - This is probably the least obscure of the group, but I've never met anyone in real life who's seen it. Have you? I love this movie.

It's about a woman (Andie MacDowell) who helps a friend out by marrying another man (Gerard Depardieu) so he can get his Green Card. This is *not* your ordinary RomCom. It's sweet and sad and wonderful. (and very tame by today's standards--if you can call them standards) Also? The soundtrack includes Enya. Need I say more?




Krull (1983) - This B movie combines bad 80s hair, terrible humor, atrocious special effects and even worse acting. Are you sold yet? Even so, it's still one of my favorites. Mr. N and I have seen it dozens of times. There's something strangely endearing about it. If you want a good laugh, this is your movie! Just for fun, here's the Amazon description:
In a fantasy adventure, set in a world peopled by creatures of myth and magic, a prince embarks on a quest to find the magical Glaive and then rescues his young bride. Colwyn (Ken Marshall) is the leader of a mythical sword-and-sorcery group in pursuit of "the Beast" that has kidnaped his fiance, Lyssa (Lysette Anthony).
Sounds pretty great, right?




White Dwarf (1995) - Does anyone else remember this Made for TV Movie? I loved this one. I'll admit, I haven't seen it since I was young, but I'd love to get my hands on it again! But since the VHS is almost $90 on Amazon, I'll be waiting a while to purchase it.



Crossing Delancey (1988) - This is another sweet romance. Without all the crap you get nowadays. (They just don't leave anything to the imagination anymore!) It's a story about a pickle-man who falls in love with his friend's granddaughter. It has a few strange moments, but that's what makes it sweet. And strange.




Harold and Maude (1971) - This is the only one on the list that I saw first as an adult. My dear friend was a HUGE Cat Stevens fan at the time and she found this movie, who's whole soundtrack was Cat Stevens! It *is* odd--an old, old, OLD woman and a very young man fall in love. Can't say it's one of my favorites, but I did see it!



The Night They Saved Christmas (1984) - Jaclyn Smith in a Christmas Sweater having hot cocoa with Santa Claus? Elves with mutton chops bigger than Texas? Enough said.


What obscure movies have you seen? Have you seen any from my list?

5 comments:

  1. I've seen NONE of these! :D Green Card and Crossing Delancy sound up my alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both so sweet! :) There are a few strange (but not too strange) parts in Crossing Delancey, but otherwise, like I said, they're both very tame.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any of these either! And the only one I've heard of is Green Card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen (twice. and loved!) Green Card, but none of the others. I'm not sure if this is obscure, but one of my favourite movies ever was The Winslow Boy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155388/). Another interesting one was The Fall (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!