9/28/2015

Why We Love Charlotte Mason

I wanted to write a follow up to my Highfalutin Charlotte Masoners post because while I don't think it's complicated (pick a composer and listen to it), it isn't quite that simple. At least the philosophy behind it isn't.

Note: Take all of this with a grain of salt--I've only been homeschooling for TWO YEARS. ;o)

And it's the philosophy, the why behind it, that really speaks to me. In my own life, reading Charlotte Mason's works have affected more than just homeschooling. It's affected the way I parent and how *I* look at the world. Which is kind of amazing, if you think about it.

On top of that, Charlotte Mason knew children. She knew how they learned and how to reach them. She believed in giving them respect, beautiful and true ideas to "feast" on, and a love for learning. Most importantly, she believed in teaching them all of these things because of who they were (are) in Christ.

At first I was apprehensive, because as you may know, she actually didn't have any children of her own. But if you read her books you will soon see that she did know a thing or two about children. And she loved them.

So yes, a Charlotte Mason education doesn't have be complicated, but it is so much more than nature study and narration. :)

There are so many people who talk about her and her philosophies much better than I can. Go to my "Blog Roll" tab and check under the "Homeschooling" section for some of them!

For more on what Mason believed, this page at Ambleside Online is very helpful! And again, here are books to read for FREE at Ambleside Online.

PS This post by Nancy Kelly is fantastic - Love Affairs in Education or The Thing is the Thing

Read a sort of Part 3 here.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post. CM's philosophy is what attracted me, too. Thanks for the Nancy Kelly link. I think I might have to start following her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nelleke. I'm so, so thankful for CM. :)

      Delete
  2. I hear ya about MY own life...it's been soooo enriching to me! I think that is one that that has pleasantly surprised me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We began homeschooling our oldest 2 in 1994 using the textbook method after removing our children from a Christian school. The textbook method was the only method I knew about at that time, and it was also the only method I used with our 5 younger children when they were school age. Then I read about the CM philosophy in a home school magazine. That did it! It's CM all the way now, and I will never use any other method! It is not only a feast for my children, but for me as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! Sorry I'm just now getting back to you! :) I think it makes SUCH SENSE to use living books vs. text books! I'm so thankful I have friends who discover CM so I could start out that way. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!