9/19/2015

Random Thoughts with Catie

Some thoughts I've been pondering lately...

-:- It occurred to me recently that, as a homeschooling mom, I have several roles in my children's lives. (thank you, Captain Obvious, right?) But when we're "in school" I'm their teacher and although I'm learning beside them, I'm also in authority over them in a way that I'm not as "just a mom." I feel like I either need to *change* that thinking, and meld my Teacher Self and Mother Self together OR figure out how to switch back and forth. I don't think it's necessarily fair that my kids have a Teacher Mom all. the. time. or Mother Mom during school. Does any of that make any sense to anyone else? :)

-:- My husband is trying to FIX HIS EYES. He's amazing. No, really. Once he sets his mind to do something, he DOES IT. Now, (even he'll admit) that list is short, mind you. *wink* But he WILL do it.

He's had glasses since middle school and today he told me that for the first time that he could remember, he could read a billboard without his glasses! Amazing! Here are a few books if you're interested: Improve Your Eyesight Naturally and Take Off Your Glasses and See.

-:- I've been chewing on liturgy lately. Like, for the past year or so. ;) It started when I was reading something about Jewish traditions (can't remember what it was) and I thought to myself, "I could use some more tradition and remembering in my life." I feel so rushed--in my relationship with the Lord and otherwise. I wonder if having a repetitive practice (what's the word for a personal liturgy??) would help me to focus more on Jesus and not myself.

I've been reading up on some liturgical faiths, and while I don't subscribe to all of their beliefs (we're evangelical), I *do* think there is *something* to having some "religious activities", if you will, in my life. I'm so distracted and busy; liturgy might allow me the opportunity to STOP and THINK about WHO I'm talking to and WHY, you know?

I've been thinking of how I can incorporate some things into our homeschool day without it becoming a burden or a means to "make us more holy." I'm not sure yet though. It might mean that we do communion at home or just say a prayer or two. We are already memorizing The Lord's Prayer, so that's a good start. :)

Of course, I would never, ever want it to replace my personal, real relationship with Jesus. The veil has been lifted! We can approach the throne of grace with confidence! I know the Lord will be faithful to show me what I need to do (maybe nothing!) if I truly am seeking Him.

It might just be something that *I* need right now and not necessarily for my children. I'm going to give it some more prayer and thought.

-:- I read this this morning in my Quiet Time from My Utmost:

[As Christians] Satan does not tempt us just to make us do wrong things --he tempts us to make us lose what God has put into us through regeneration, namely, the possibility of being of value to God. 

Whoa. This really hit me this morning. How many of us struggle with our place with the Lord? If I really think about it, it isn't so much the sin that I feel guilty about although, that's part of it; it's the feeling that the Lord is continually mad at me, or worse, disappointed, that keeps me feeling distant from Him. Like it's a surprise to Him that I screw up. I'm pretty sure it's not. ;) And I know in my heart that He loves me no matter what.

It really helps me to think about how I feel about my children, when I imagine how the Lord feels about me. I love my children because they are my children. And I'm proud of them, simply because they are my children.

They don't have to do anything to make me love them or be proud of them. It's hard for me to imagine anyone feeling that way about ME, because *I* know who I am, but God loved us (me) first. (1 John 4:19)

And I'm so grateful.

What about you? What's been rolling around in your brain lately? 

PS I'm super excited!!! I and a few friends are going to a Charlotte Mason conference in Rochester, MN today!! WHOOPEE! We'll be gone all day and I'm SO looking forward to chatting with friends and learning more about the Charlotte Mason method! :) :) :) I'll try and write about it here. Although, usually when I say that I'll write about something on my blog it never happens. :/ But I will try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!