9/15/2015

Our 2015-2016 School Year Schedule

I have a hard time not being long-winded when it comes to writing about schedules (or anything, for that matter). So, please feel free to gloss over some of the minutia.

There will be a test at the end however.

I don't know how you are, but I am constantly tweaking things (to a fault), trying to make our school day more streamlined.

*hysterical laughter*

Well, it's good to have a plan anyway. ;o)

I actually tried this schedule last week...

...because I thought it looked simpler. And as much as I wanted it to work it just didn't. I really need to have everything in front of me or I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

So I went back to my original format. I'll show you our current schedule then I'll blather on explain it. My schedule is based on Ambleside Online's curriculum - Year 0 and Year 2.


(click on picture to enlarge)

To some of you, this might look like too much or a bit overwhelming, but I need every. little. thing. on my schedule so I don't forget anything. I have so many distractions these days! Cute distractions, to be sure, but distractions, nonetheless!  

You'll notice there are more spaces for readings than I need. That's because I'm learning to be more flexible. *wink* One day we might finish 1 or 2 readings, the next day we might be able to do 3. Or none!

Everything on my schedule is a guide. We don't actually do math for 20min, 5 times a week. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. Usually less. Ahem. The times are there so I don't get way off track. And so I remember to actually do the thing.

The subjects in purple are the ones that Middlest (my 5 yo) does with us, if she wants to. She usually does. :) I'm not forcing anything with her at this point. She really wanted to do math (MEP Reception) and learn to read (I'm trying Teaching Reading with Bob Books with her), so that's what we're doing.

I'm also working on letter formation with Middlest because I learned the hard way, if you let your child write on their own for a few years, you'll have to re-teach how to write correctly. But again, I'm not forcing it. She wants to "do school", so I roll with it.

Here's what my schedule looks like at the start of the week:


I fill most of it in on Monday, but so much gets changed throughout the week. We just don't get to everything I want to. But it's ok. :)

What I like about doing it this way, is I can see everything at a glance. I even have a Weekly Schedule at the bottom so I know what days we have our Excelsior Guild (CM group) and other weekly commitments. I like having it all right there in front of me.

In the picture below you can see in my binder I have AO's Year 2 schedule next to my Weekly Schedule so I can just fill it in each week.


 Here's a close up of our Year 2 AO schedule. It's messy, eh? Such is life! :)


A few other notes:

-We've been doing most of our school during Littlest's naptime. It's just too hard to do it when he's awake. I try to get our Circle Time done (prayer, Bible reading, memory work and ONE reading) right after breakfast, but sometimes that gets cut short.

The problem with doing school after lunch is that Oldest isn't as "fresh" for school then, so it seems like it's more of a struggle for her. We're working on it, but there's not a lot I can do right now.

- I've tried to cut out a few things and not worry about squeezing all the books in. I've also added a few books (I'm working on a resource list post) so it probably ends up being the same workload as Ambleside Online suggests! But like I said, we do not get to all of it and I'm ok with it.

If you like my schedule, I'm more than happy to share a blank one with you! Just email me and let me know.

Here a few scheduling posts that have been helpful to me:

Afterthoughts - Creating Weekly Schedules for the Whole Year
Joyous Lessons - Our Weekly Checklist
Sabbath Mood Homeschool - I use her PUS planning sheet among other things and it's so helpful.
Simply Convivial (link is to Homeschool Planning page) - I {heart} Mystie's organizational advice. I've been trying to keep up with her on YouTube and Periscope as well as her blog, because she offers lots of practical advice! Here's her Morning Time planning page. LOVE.

I've also copied Mystie's Memory Work Binder (link to video) this year and it's working out well so far! I'm learning so much too!


Here are my 3 Cute Distractions searching for treasures on the railroad tracks. 

I'd love to hear about your school plans. How have you changed your planning over the years? I've found that having a wee one (2yo) makes for an interesting school day! I'm interested in any advice or encouragement.

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your plans! This is kinda out there, but could you change S nap to the morning? That's when B & P do their naps...just an idea. That way maybe G would be fresher??? B sometimes takes an afternoon nap also...

    It is CONSTANTLY evolving and shifting here...I have a few anchors, like meals etc, but even those sometimes vary a bit. I've had to become ok with it or I go cuckoo.

    You are doing great, friend!!! Pat yourself on the back RIGHT NOW. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commencing Back Patting! :D

      Hmmm... I can't even imagine S being able to stay awake that long in the afternoon... but maybe? I'll have to give it some thought! :) Thanks for your encouragement woman! Love yas!

      Delete
  2. I'm an ENFJ who's been using Ambleside Online now for 7 years. I love it! I do Bible and a few readings with them from 8-10am. Then from 10am to 1pm they do independent work. Which means they finish the Ambleside Readings, Do Math, 30 min. of fun reading and some writing. Then while all the little kids are sleeping from 1:30 - 3:30, they get free time for special things that they love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allie! Thanks for your comment! :) Another ENFJ!?! Hooray! Are you on the AO forums much?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!