9/02/2015

Book Review: The Actor and the Housewife

The Actor and the HousewifeThe Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

After much some thinking, I decided to go with ONE star. It was a toss-up between 1 and 2.

First, I'll say that I loved the writing itself. Hale, IMHO, is a great writer. I'm looking forward to reading Austenland. :) The first few chapters were LAUGH OUT LOUD funny. But I have to agree with another reviewer--after a while the witty banter between Felix and Becky got old.

So, the writing was very good; the content? Not so much.

I'm not sure if this book was supposed to convince you of the plausibility of the story, or if it was supposed to be far-fetched and just to get you thinking. Either way, I didn't like it. It *wasn't* believable and as a far-fetched story it left a bad taste in my mouth b/c Becky was MARRIED. (That said, a story where an ordinary single girl meets the man of her dreams--*that* would be a good read! Maybe it's been done?)

Not only do I not agree with a married woman having a MAN as a "best friend" I also don't think a "normal" husband would respond the way Mike did. Sure, at first-ish he wasn't cool with it, but eventually he realized that Becky "needed" Felix, so then he encouraged it! WHAT?!

Weird.

SPOILER: I also thought the Mormon thing was strange. Not that she was Mormon--but how would that have worked if they *had* gotten together?!

(PS The reason I read this book was b/c it was recommended by Susan Wise Bauer on the Read Aloud Revival. I would not recommend this book. To anyone.)

View all my reviews

Have you read this book? If so, what did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, Catie. However, I just finished "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCollough. It's about Teddy Roosevelt. It was a good book, but I like "John Adams" (by the same author) better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! I'll have to check out the John Adams book. :) I've been *so* interested in history since we started homeschooling. :)

    Are you on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!