8/23/2015

Our Pause Button Update

Last week, I decided to put school on PAUSE and work on obedience and good habits. The kids needed some work too. ;)

I'm happy to report that things are going a little better. Not perfect, mind you! There's still a good amount of bad attitudes and whining. And the kids aren't perfect either. (Are you sick of that joke yet?)

A photo posted by Catie N (@catienewby) on

But seriously. I'm glad I made the decision to stop school and work on relationships.  And all joking aside, the Lord really has been working on my heart. One thing I was reminded of: It is only in the midst of our weakness, that God can reveal His strength and our need for Him.

The last few weeks have shown me that I need Him so much. I can not do this (wife, mother, teacher) alone. It is so easy, especially in our culture, to coast along without thinking we really need God.

But oh my. We do. 

Middlest at a local Deer Park--more pics to come soon, I hope!

And after talking with a friend in the same season of life, I realized that I'll have to settle for mediocre sometimes. What I mean is, I may not always be able to start school with the dishes done, the house picked up and laundry started.

And we may have days (weeks) where attitudes just aren't right, but we'll have to keep on going anyway. I don't know about you, but these are actually comforting thoughts to me. If I know ahead of time that I need to keep going even though all my ducks aren't in a row, I feel better than if I set myself up for perfection and not can't come close! Does that make sense?

 Don't you just wanna eat him!? Me too!

This week, starting tomorrow, we'll slowly, very slowly add in a reading or two and maybe a couple of other things. I think we just tried to do too much, too soon. We'll keep working on our routine and our attitudes and I'll be clinging tightly to God's Word and praying for wisdom! He is faithful! 

I've also been thinking about the importance of what some call "Mother Culture." I realized that I really haven't been fueling up, so to speak. I do wake up and have a Quiet Time most mornings, but I don't really do much that inspires me these days. (Other than read, of course, which can be enough sometimes!)

That said, I've picked up my knitting needles again and it feels so good. I really need to make sure I'm taking care of myself and doing more than just school and housework(!), so I have more to give to my children. Do you struggle with that too?

Here's the hat I've started for Middlest: You can find the pattern here. 

A photo posted by Catie N (@catienewby) on
 
~~~

I'm doing much better with the loss of our baby. But I'm still not at 100%. I have a picture of the ultrasound on my fridge that I can't bear to take down. And I still really feel the loss. But every day it gets easier.

I had a good talk with Oldest 2 days ago--turns out she really feels the loss still, too. But after sharing my pain with her and telling her that's part of why Mama hasn't been acting herself lately, she shared with me that she's still upset. It was a good talk. :) I so appreciate your prayers! Let me know how I can pray for you!

10 comments:

  1. Catie, yes, I struggle with not having a mother culture too. Its hard to find time for yourself with a houseful! I am glad you are doing a little better. And yes, it is OK that school starts without the dishes done and the laundry done and all the ducks in a row. Mostly because they will be there after school and tomorrow and the next day and the day after that....ha! They're not going anywhere, that's for sure.
    Anyway, I read your posts and wish we could be friends!!
    P.s your oldests eyes are so big and beautiful!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're ever in Southern Wisconsin, stop by! And I'll do the same next time I'm in Kansas. ;o) But seriously! It would be fun to meet!

      I don't ever really think of myself as a perfectionist (you should see my house!) but maybe in some areas I am? I have to get over that! Or sleep less and clean more! HA!

      Thank you, as always, for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  2. Aww. (((HUGS))) Love your photos...looked at the Instagram ones! Soooo neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are looking up :) It's interesting how God does not allow things to be easy all the time because, like you said, His strength is revealed in our weaknesses. If things were always peachy and happy-go-lucky all the time, we probably wouldn't feel a need for Him!

    And yes, I struggle with mother culture, too! The only thing I have right now is reading, I guess. I love to bake but right now, I just don't have the energy! I've never sewed or knitted or anything like that but I do have a sewing machine that has been sitting in my kitchen hutch since my mom got it for me for Christmas last year, oy. Just not the time for that right now, though. One of these days...

    Also wanted to say thank you for being so honest and real on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is my main free time fun thing, too. It's easy--there isn't a lot of set-up! ;) Knitting is also pretty easy to do here and there, depending on the pattern of course. Right now, I'm actually in the middle of frogging (un-knitting) a few rows on my hat. :/

      Have you ever tried knitting? :)

      Delete
    2. No, I've never tried knitting! Is it fairly easy to get started? I'm sure I can find some tutorials.

      Delete
    3. Well, I think it really depends. It can be easy? When I started knitting, I would wait SO LONG in between times that I knit, that I would have to re-teach myself every time! I think if you stuck with it, you would catch on quickly.

      I like it b/c there really isn't a lot of setup and you can knit a few rows, then put it down if you have to. :) Great for this season of life with Wee Ones!

      Delete
  4. The healing from losing your baby will come, Catie. It just takes time. Continuing to keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!