8/19/2015

My thoughts after 3 days of school OR It just ain't workin'!

Whew! We started school this week (today was Day #3!) and it's been a doozy! At the risk of sounding melodramatic (Ahem) I've decided to stop school. I know, I know. It's only been THREE days, but really, the bad behavior has been going on much longer.

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is around here. Maybe it's because I haven't been present for the past few weeks (what with being really sick and losing the baby and all) or maybe it's something in the water.

Either way, what we have goin' on right now just ain't workin'. (I said that with a southern drawl in my head. Not sure why.)

Moving on.

I've decided that what we REALLY need to work on, instead of reading, writing and 'rithmetic are {good} habits and obedience. And by "we" I mean "them." Sort of. *I* could probably use a lesson or two in obedience. Ahem.

I just can NOT afford to be stressed out about getting a day's worth of school done all while trying to work on training the kids. It's just. too. much.


The atmosphere around here stinks and it's mostly my fault.

It is *my* job, as Mama, to make sure that the atmosphere in our home stays where it should--it should be conducive to learning and growing together. That responsibility should not fall on my children, although there are days that by looking at me you would assume otherwise. :/ I accept full blame.

Right now, it's ME against THEM and something's gotta give. I've decided that "something" needs to be school so I will feel the freedom to STOP what I'm doing and train and correct my children and help them and come along side them to help them develop good habits.

The beauty of it all is that it really won't put us behind. We start school a little earlier than most and we can school through summer if we have to.

I will be sitting down with the Littles tomorrow and explaining our new plan--that we are going to work on saying, Yes, Mama and doing our chores without complaining and doing our very best to get along with each other. And when I start to see a little improvement (I know it will never be perfect!) we can start up school again. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. Because my relationship with my kids is more important that 2+2 right now. And presently, Mama is crabby ALL THE TIME because there doesn't seem to be any order around here! Hmph!


Here's our new schedule: the Daily No-School Routine

It may seem like a lot of chores, but really the girls can do all of these things in a short amount of time. I know because they have done it! And to be honest, I'm laying it on kind of thick because I want LOTS of opportunities for the girls to say "Yes, Mama!" Practice makes perfect-ish, right?

I should mention, too, that I only have 1 Read Aloud time scheduled, but that I plan on spending more time with them than is on the chart. Free times will include me sometimes playing with them or reading to them. I just can't promise that I'll always be able to do that, so "Free Time" it remains.

If you think of it, I'd love any extra prayers you can throw my way! I'm praying desperately for wisdom and for the Holy Spirit to work in my children's lives, because at the end of the day, I can't change their hearts--only Jesus can. I can help steer it in the right direction though.

What about you? Have you ever had to put school on hold to work on a habit or two? (or ten?) Please say you have! It'll make me feel so much better! ;o)

10 comments:

  1. Sorry things aren't going well :( I sent you an email...hopefully you'll get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for the email! I promise I'll respond soon! ;)

      Delete
  2. I am with you on this, Catie. We have had times just like this. And I did the same thing as you - lessons would have to wait - it was time for some boot-camp character training. :) Praying things get better soon for you.
    And btw, being a Southern girl, I love your southern drawl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Thanks, Lisa. Not sure where the southern drawl came from, but I went with it! ;o)

      Thank you for your prayers. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally get this! The beauty of homeschooling is that you absolutely can and should take a break and focus on what's really importan! Good for you for not trying to trudge through what isn't working right now but actually making the time to set things straight. That is very inspiring and I admire it! It will help me to remember to take a time out if things aren't going well this year...that its okay!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! I feel like because we're so early in our homeschool journey, that it's important to establish a good "atmosphere' (as Charlotte would say *wink*) instead of checking the boxes.

      How's nursing at night going for you? :)

      Delete
  4. We had just the same experience! We didn't stop school, but we slowed it down to work on some new habits and keep the atmosphere peaceful rather than stressed and frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe there's something going around?! ;o) I was thinking of doing one or two readings each day next week. And EASE back into it. I can't help but think that a lot of it is ME, though. :/ I just don't think I'm back to normal yet. I feel like I can't get a handle on things, you know? Lord, help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Catie, I understand! I will pray for you, that you find your center and that you feel like you are getting a handle on things again. Honestly, the days I feel centered and like I'm on top of things are pretty far and few in between. Usually I feel like I'm trying to play catch up! I think that with homeschooling multiple little ones you are always being pulled in so many directions, and then throw anything else in the mix, like what you are going through, and it effects everyone! All this to say, you are not alone! As far as nursing goes for me, still going strong! I haven't attempted anything yet!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your prayers, Catherine! :) I'll be praying for you, too! That nursing stops "going strong!" :o)

      I definitely have to figure how to keep going with school when something major (or minor) happens. I can't just stop every time things don't go according to plan. *sigh* Really got my work cut out for me! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!