7/08/2015

It is better to take refuge in the Lord.

I feel like I've been disappointing people a lot lately. In word and deed.

If there was one thing that I'd want to change about myself (other than a bunch of other things!) it would be that I care too much what people think. I can't stand this about myself! I spend way too much time and head-space worried about what I said or did to so-and-so and if they were offended or not. Ugh.

Some of you, especially the introverts out there(!), are thinking why on earth would you care so much about what other people think?

But as an ENFP (or ENFJ? I can never figure it out. I think I waver between the two.), I care a lot about people in general, and unfortunately, along with that comes caring a lot about what people think about me.

ENFPs don't take things at face value – they look for underlying motives in even the simplest things. It's not uncommon for ENFPs to lose a bit of sleep asking themselves why someone did what they did, what it might mean, and what to do about it.  -16 Personalities

Thankfully, God gave us (me) His Precious Word to remind me of what my real priorities should be. I read this this morning: (impeccable timing, no?)
In my anguish I cried to the Lord,
and he answered by setting me free.
The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
The Lord is with me; he is my helper.
I will look in triumph on my enemies.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord 
than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord 
than to trust in princes. 
-Psalm 118: 5-9

Deep Breath. Ahhh. It feels so good to read that. (again and again and again...)

Now I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have to look at the people in my life I feel like I'm disappointing as "enemies." ;) But I *do* know who my real enemy is (it's the devil, in case you were wondering), and he will try anything to sever relationships! And whether it is him (he?) that is feeding me the constant stream of "you've disappointed so-and-so" or just my own silly self that is telling me that, I know the Truth. And it will set me free.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord. 

Amen and hallelujah. Thank you, Lord for your Word and for reminding me Who's opinion matters the most.

5 comments:

  1. My husband and I are both INFP's. Not exactly sure what this means, but you are only one letter off from us! I'll have to get the book and read up on it again, its been years.
    And what an amazing verse to remind you of the truth. Thank you God for giving us your Word so we can know who you are!!
    Catie, I sure think we'd be good friends in real life!
    Catherine in KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Catherine! Nice to hear from you! :) I just *love* learning about the personality types. I find it so helpful in understanding people and not taking things personally--which I tend to do! :)

    I just love how God uses His Word so plainly sometimes, don't you?

    I'm sure we could be friend IRL, too! If you're ever in Southern Wisconsin, look me up!

    You can always email me at sillyrednewby AT gmail if you want to, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can only do so much. There is always prayer. Very insightful post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!