6/16/2015

Mexico!

Mr. N and I just got back a week ago from vaca in Mexico! Woohoo! We stayed in Playa del Carmen. I was really surprised how many people we know that have been there. Apparently, it's a popular destination!

We were *supposed* to be gone for a total of 3 nights, which I thought was long enough considering our children are so little (6, 4 and not yet 2). We ended up being gone a total of 5 nights. Let me explain...

We decided to leave a night early because we otherwise would've had to wake up at 3am to get to the airport on time on Thursday. We then spent 3 nights in Mexico; on the way home, as were about to land in Chicago the pilot comes on the intercom and says, "We can't land in Chicago due to storms, so we're going to temporarily land in Indianapolis(!). We're not sure what's going to happen from there."

I'll interject here to say that, normally, these kinds of things don't rattle me. In fact, my husband jokingly said to me while we were waiting on the runway in Indianapolis, "Well, you like spontaneity, right?!" 

And yes, I do. 

But not when MY CHILDREN ARE AT HOME AND I'M STUCK TWO STATES AWAY.

So to make a very long story very short, we ended up spending an extra night in a yucky hotel in Indianapolis when all I wanted was to get. home. I missed my kids!


Other than the trip home, our vacation overall was very nice. It was just the refresher we needed! In hindsight, however, I'm sure we could've felt just as refreshed if we had stayed at a B&B a few hours away. But you live, you learn.

I really felt like God was with us the whole time, too. And of course, He was, but I really felt like He was there, you know? On the 4 hour plane ride down, the lady I was seated next to was a Christian who had homeschooled her children with My Father's World, which is very similar to Charlotte Mason's philosophy! What are the chances of that?

And then, on the bus from the airport to our hotel, we met another Christian. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think not. There were also other small things that I felt the Lord was speaking through. :)

Here are a few funny stories from our trip:

Funny story #1: Do you ever get that feeling? 
As my husband and I were standing near the beach, I asked him, "Do you ever get that feeling that something is crawling on your foot and when you look nothing is there? That just happened." Then, not 1 minute later there was actually something crawling on my foot--A CRAB! True story. 

Thankfully, it flew off without pinching me when I shook my foot like a crazy person.

Funny story #2: Let me translate that for you.
We went on this awesome, underground river/cave tour and it was so amazing! I'm thankful to say that the group that we went was so great and consisted of 3 other young-ish couples.

One of the guys, however, had this "I'm going to show everyone I know stuff" attitude. You know the kind. He was still a very nice guy and was somehow endearing. Anyway, at the beginning of the tour, he and his newly married wife are explaining to us that *he's* the one that speaks Spanish and if it wasn't for him, she doesn't know what she would do!

They were young. 

And newly married. 

And somehow, endearing. 

As the tour was starting, the guide explained to us that there would be a photographer following us through the caves taking pictures, and we shouldn't be startled by him. Just smile for the camera when need be. 

Mr. I Know Stuff, trying to be funny, says to the photographer, "Gratis foto?" 

He then turns to all of us with a smug look and said, "I asked him if the photos were free." 

Um... thanks.

~~~~~ 

And now, more pictures from Mexico!

See the spider web with pollen on it between the right-most thingys on this flower? Cool, eh?


These animals, called Coati, were everywhere at the hotel. There were signs not to feed them. Unfortunately, drunk people don't pay attention to signs, so they were walking all over the place looking for food and were not afraid of people. 

They are very cute, but I'm pretty sure everyone who lives in Mexico thinks they're a nuisance. They're related to racoons apparently.


 We saw 3 different kinds of lizards while walking around the hotel grounds. There were probably more kinds than this though.
 My husband kept referring to the one above as the "lizards with jazz on their heads."

These following pictures are all from the underground river/cave, Rio Secreto. If you're anywhere near Playa del Carmen in Mexico, I highly recommend checking it out! Our guide was wonderful and the tour was a good hour and a half (any longer and I would've FROZE TO DEATH.) 

We're on the far left. It really was such a great group of people. Couldn't have asked for better!

I'm just gonna apologize now for the plethora of pictures. It was hard to narrow it down!



 Awww...
 (We're in the far back below.)



 I'm smiling in this picture, but I was also literally shaking from being so freaking cold! That water was about 75 degrees or so! YIKES!


If you're reading this, bless you! (that was a lot of pictures!) 

Like I said, I'm so glad we went on this trip, but next time I might not will definitely not stay away so long. I mean, who wouldn't want to get back to these little cuties?


 Don't you love Middlest's fashion sense? She is such a joy!

3 comments:

  1. So cool! I haven't had the chance to hear about your trip, so this is fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved looking at the pictures! Looks like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, with that helmet on, you look just like your first-born! Really!

    Photos are always great - never apologize for them. Your fans love them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!