6/19/2015

Book Review: Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I absolutely ADORED this book. I'm adding this to one of my favorites. Ever.

From the description on Amazon:

Barbara Buncle is in a bind. Times are harsh, and Barbara's bank account has seen better days. Maybe she could sell a novel ... if she knew any stories. Stumped for ideas, Barbara draws inspiration from her fellow residents of Silverstream, the little English village she knows inside and out.

To her surprise, the novel is a smash. It's a good thing she wrote under a pseudonym, because the folks of Silverstream are in an uproar. But what really turns Miss Bunde's world around is this: what happens to the characters in her book starts happening to their real-life counterparts. Does life really imitate art?

First off, it was hilarious! Like, laugh out loud funny. If you've read the book--the scene where a meeting was held to figure out who John Smith was--I die!

Second, you wouldn't think that a book about a lady writing a book would be riveting--but it totally was! I couldn't put it down. I'm *so* excited to read the next in the series!

Miss Buncle's Book is a wonderful book. Books like this are few and far between. It will be totally worth your time to pick it up. I'm definitely adding it to my home library so I can read and re-read it!

(thanks for the recommendation, Ames!)

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this sounds like a fun, light read, which is exactly what I need right now! Lately I just haven't been able to stick with anything that's too deep. Anyway, my library has this ebook and I just downloaded it to my kindle - first time I've ever done that, how exciting! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will not be disappointed! Can't wait to hear what you think! :) Are you on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not. I should look into that...

    I have a question completely off topic. Your kids are young like mine. Do you follow the hymn and folk song rotation on AO's website? Or do you pick your own? I'm leaning towards picking my own - songs that will appeal to the younguns, but I'm having a hard time with folk songs for some reason. I guess it's because I'm not very familiar with them. What do you guys do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! on Goodreads! You should! (Because you have *so* much spare time. teehee)

    I'm actually a part of a small CM group and we meet once a month throughout the school year; we do folksongs, hymns, poetry, nature study and the other "riches" together. It just so happens that I'm in charge of hymns and folksongs and I started out following AO suggestions, but then I found that some of them weren't appropriate for some of our children in the group and also I just wanted to do songs that *we* enjoy. :)

    So, to make a long story even LONGER, no, we don't follow AO anymore. I just pick songs from books we're reading (ex. "Old Dan Tucker" from Little House) or just songs I like. :)

    You may want to just find a folksong book and go off of that. That'll have songs like "Oh, Susanna" "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and stuff like that. :) Let me know what you decide! I'm interested! You can email me, too, if you'd like: sillyrednewby AT gmail.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!