4/01/2015

Why I Love Sabbath Schooling

This is only our first year of homeschooling so please take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

That said, I really, really think everyone should do "Sabbath Schooling." (I'm not sure who coined the term, so I don't know who to give credit to but I'm sure it's not a new concept. :) ) Sabbath Schooling is schooling for 6 weeks, then taking 1 week off. Let me tell you - I LOVE IT. Here's what I love about it:


1. I use the week off to do projects around the house. While in school, I look around at my disaster home and think of ALL the things I have to do--organize clothing (IS THAT EVER DONE!?), clean out fridge, etc. That is stressful, my friends. But if I know that I'll have a week off to do those things, I can just focus on school. It also works out well if your kids get rotavirus during your week off--no need to interrupt schooling with endless vomiting and diarrhea!

2. The school year is spread out over the calendar year. I don't like the idea of having such a long stretch of summer months off. I feel like kids lose some of the information they've learned and then the first part of the following year is spent playing catch-up. (This is all in theory, of course.)

3. School seems less daunting. It's not as hard to work up the energy to do 6 weeks of school as it is for 2 or 3 months without a break. For me and my daughter.

4. Having scheduled time off keeps me focused on the task at hand. I have a tendency to say, "Let's skip school today and go to the (park, friend's house, store, etc) instead, kids!" That is not a good thing. If I know I have a break coming, I'll wait. Of course, once in a while you just have to put the books away and go to the park, Sabbath Week or not! AmIright?

If you're curious, here's what our year looks like:
We start school the week after our church's VBS and there's a little longer of a stretch right before Christmas, but that's ok because we take several weeks off during December. And in the beginning of the year, it's not such a big deal to have a longer-than-six-week stretch. ;)

You can see that we still have two full months off during summer. This gives us time to catch up if we need to, because I don't have to tell you, life happens. This is how I scheduled this year's school year and so far we're on track.

I have the weeks numbered so I can line them up with our Ambleside Online weeks. It might not work in later years to print the week numbers out, but for this year it has worked fine.

How do you schedule your school year and what do you like about it? :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for posting your schedule, I love it! But its funny, the public schools here summer off looks just like yours. They only give the kids 2 months off nowadays. Of course, that's without your 6 weeks on, one week off. I really like this idea because I really need some time for a breather, or just cuddling on the couch reading to whoever will listen without feeling guilty that we're not "doing school". And don't even get me started on cleaning and organizing....some moms do those!??
    Catherine in KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine! :) (Are you a Catie? Or Catherine? The only time I've ever been called Catherine is when I was in trouble as a child. ;o)

    TOO FUNNY! Really? The same schedule as the public schools? Now I wonder if ours are like that..??? Hmmm?? I'm kinda out of the loop with that stuff! HA!

    Oh man. You are SO RIGHT about the cleaning stuff. If I can do our laundry and the dishes, it's been a good week! Can I get an AMEN?!

    I'm such a NEWBY (teehee. that's my last name) at this homeschooling thing, that I sort of cringe at giving any advice. Ever.

    But I really, really love 6 on, 1 off. :) It's so nice to have that break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm Catherine. My husband and my mom are the only ones who call me Katie.
    I think we will have to try this 6 week on, one week off next year. We are almost through this year, only about 4 weeks left. We made it through a move across Kansas during this year! Did I read that you are moving as well? My husband is actually from WI. Born in Manitowac but grew up in Mishicot. Ring any bells?
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm Catherine. My husband and my mom are the only ones who call me Katie.
    I think we will have to try this 6 week on, one week off next year. We are almost through this year, only about 4 weeks left. We made it through a move across Kansas during this year! Did I read that you are moving as well? My husband is actually from WI. Born in Manitowac but grew up in Mishicot. Ring any bells?
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Manitowac, but I've never been there and I think it's far from us. :)

    I can't believe you moved during the school year AND kept on with school! Hooray for you! :)

    It's been a little stressful trying to keep up the house, but otherwise I'm excited to move! We'd like a little bigger yard and house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do not recommend moving during the school year but I suppose its easier than if the kids were in public school.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!