3/14/2015

Book Review: The Lost World of Genesis One

Once again, I will not be able to do this book justice. I'm just not that smart or well-spoken. But here goes!

The Lost World of Genesis One by John H. Walton was recommend by someone on the AO Forum during a discussion of Old Earth vs. New Earth and whether or not the Six Day Creation was literal. Interesting stuff, let me tell you!

*I* was raised to believe in a literal Six Days. And I'm pretty sure I still believe that. :) I grew up listening to Creation scientists give all the facts and reasons why Earth simply cannot be millions of years old. I ate that stuff up! Still do! (obviously) I just love learning about Creation and origins.

HOWEVER, after reading this book, I've learned, among other things, that the Biblical account of Creation in Genesis 1 isn't talking about the creation of material things; it's actually talking about the creation of the functionality of material things.

Talk about a paradigm shift!

Make no mistake! Walton is NOT saying that God didn't create everything from nothing! He did! Walton, and a bunch of other smart people, just don't think that Genesis 1 is *that* story. He's also careful to remind us that the Bible is the True and inspired Word of God. It is the End All. But sometimes how we interpret it isn't always correct. Nothing new there.

That, in turn implies, among other things(!), that the Earth *could* be older than some of us were raised to believe. And that the Earth could've been here (or at least some parts of it) before the story of Genesis 1 begins. (Walton goes in to all the meanings of the Hebrew words used in Genesis, so all of that makes way more sense.)

Are you intrigued!? I was too!

There is so much more in this book and there's no way I can fit it into one post (or communicate it well enough even if I could fit it into one post). Suffice it to say, if you're a Christian or if you're not a Christian, you should read this book.

Even if you don't agree with all the author says, it will change how you read the Bible (AMONG OTHER THINGS!) and give you a better understanding of how big God really is.

All of that said, I emphatically do not believe that what one believes about Genesis 1 has any bearing on their salvation. 

But it *is* interesting, no? 

The day after I wrote this post, I came across this website, BioLogos, and they *happen* to be doing a study on The Lost World. Providence perhaps? ;o) (I do not know enough about the BioLogos site to totally endorse it. I just came across is the other day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!