2/21/2015

Week In A Post: Feburary 21, 2015




- This week was our "Sabbath Week." We school for 6 weeks, then take 1 week off. I'm not sure who first came up with the whole Sabbath Schooling thing, but it's the best idea ever. Especially this time of year (February!) when we all (read: Mommy) need a little break. I had a whole list of things to get done this week: 
  • organize the kids clothes - check!
  • organize bookshelves (we received 2 new-to-us bookshelves last week! woohoo!) - check! sort of.. I still have more to do.
  • clean desk - nope!
  • rearrange the girls' room - nope!
  • rearrange our bedroom - nope!
  • get caught up on cleaning - nope!
Why didn't I get most of those things done, you ask? That brings me to my next bullet point..

- on Tuesday, Rotavirus came to visit our house. :( You don't want to know all the gory details, but let me put it this way.. I don't recommend it. There has been lots of puking (among other things) and sleepless nights and laundry and crying. *Just* the kids have it--we're not quite sure about Oldest yet; it might pass over her. (sounds like the Angel of Death..) Please pray, if you think of it!

I also don't want to get into a discussion about vaccines (this mama says it very well [ignore the cussing]) We don't vaccinate and are comfortable with that decision. I'd still rather my kids get rotavirus than be vaccinated for it. To each his own. :) Since our kids *have* had it, they won't get it again. This strain anyway. cough.


- On a lighter note.. here's my To Read list:
  • The Shallows by Nicholas Carr - I've had this on my TR list for a while, but a recent conversation with a friend who's reading it prompted me to put it on hold... promptly! 
  • Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley (is that pronounced "silly"? teehee.) - This is the FlyLady's book. Can't believe I haven't read it yet.
  • Peace Like a River by Leif Enger - I've already started this and it's excellent.
  • The Lost World of Genesis One by John Walton - Started this one, too. I can't even tell you how interesting (and a little hard to understand!) it is! I'll be reading this very slowly.
  • Peoples of the Sea by Immanual Velikovsky (a recommendation by Ruth Beechick in The Language Wars - link to my review)
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah and Harold Mally - This one should be at the top of my list. Ask me why.
  • A Landscape with Dragons by Michael O'Brien - I linked to this one because it's easier than me explaining it to you. :)
  • Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson - I'm in a small group study with this and we're on Chapter 1. So far, so good! As usual with Sally.
  • Adam and His Kin by Ruth Beechick - I'm super interested in history/origin type stuff right now. Can you tell?
  • Homeschool Answer Book by Ruth Beechick
  • The Three R's by ... you guessed it! Ruth Beechick! (this'll be my second [third?] time through)
  • The Mysteries of Life in Children's Literature by Mitchell Kalpakgian (not shown) - I heard about The Mysteries.. on a recent podcast/video thingy with Sarah Mackenzie from Amongst Lovely Things.

I'm not sure why I ever think it's a good idea to put SIX HUNDRED BOOKS on hold at the library at one time. I can't tell you how many times I've had to send a book back that I haven't even opened! *tear* One thing I'm trying to do this year is to read more slowly. So I can really take in what I'm reading. Novel idea, eh? (Pun not intended.) That's hard to do when I have 12 novels to read in four weeks. *sigh* I'm going to do my best, though!

Not much else going on around here. (we don't NEED anything else!) We're all getting a little stir-crazy and so excited that Spring is on it's way!

What's new with you?


2 comments:

  1. You still have your humor. Good. You aren't TOTALLY dead over there with sickness. :) Please tell me how Sink Reflections is and also I really thought Peace Like a River was neat! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!