1/10/2015

Finding beauty in the middle of winter

It's winter.

In Wisconsin.

Blech.

Finding beauty this time of year can sometimes be difficult. Especially when the kidlets all have colds and we've all been stuck inside for too long because of the crazy cold temperatures.

Yesterday? It was 3 degrees.

Blech.

Thankfully, I have a cozy, warm home and a wonderful family to share it with.

Here are a few of my favorite things (you have that song in your head now, don't you?) that bring a smile to my face on these dreary days of winter. Keep in mind that outside the frames of these pictures it's messy. Very messy.

But today I'm choosing to just see the beauty.
 If you look a little closer you can see someone's "hair" waiting to be glued back on his head..

 The above silver picture frame was a gift from a friend and so were the following:


 Isn't this bag GORGEOUS? I'm in love. Linda made it, if you want to put a request in. ;)


My friend, Amy, made these gifts for me; the potholder and the bunting. Again--in. love.


I just love my teal clock (that I painted), my "N" and the teal tray.


For years and years I couldn't keep any plants alive. For some reason (maybe because I'm watering them?) in the last few years, I've successfully kept plants! I love them. The green is so nice to see this time of year.

I adore my Hobbit plant. (Yes, that's it's real name!)


This teal bird (starting to notice a theme here?) candle holder was a thrift store find. Isn't it great?


Of course, our bookshelves full of books make me happy.

This dresser was given to us and was a yucky pea-green. I sanded and painted it and voila! it's now one of my favorite things in this house. It holds our homeschool stuff. The drawers hold stuff too. ;o)


A teapot I painted at a paint-your-own-pottery place.

And last, but not least, a few more of my favorite "things" that reside in our home..


This sweet little guy was following me around while I was taking pics of my favorite things. I can't help but smile when I look at him. (I should mention, too, that the Action Bible you see was GIVEN to us by a good friend of mine! Eek! [Thank you! You know who you are!])


My sweet girls holding their rice-pack owls their Mama made them for Christmas. I gotta tell ya. These girls have taught me so much about love and how to be a better person. I'm so thankful for them.

Thank you, Lord, for the beauty in my life.

What beauty is there to be found in your life right now?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing parts of your home with us. I love the teal!

    Your kids looks very cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS POST!!! I'm ALL ABOUT finding beauty in the mess & mundane!!!! This is sooo perfect, Catie. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!