1/24/2015

Book Review: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up


The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and OrganizingThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really, really liked this book. I'm ALWAYS trying to de-clutter but this book kicked me into high-gear.

There is just so. much. stuff. that we keep that we don't need or use!

A lot of the advice wasn't new to me (I read a lot of organizing/de-cluttering books) but a few things that I gained from the book were:

- if something doesn't bring you joy, GET RID OF IT. Obviously, that doesn't apply to some things (tax forms, pens, etc). But even though I like to think that I do a pretty good job of getting rid of stuff, I could do so much better.

For instance, I keep all of our old bill/credit card statements (or at least, the last year's) and not ONCE have I ever needed them. All of that information is available online, if I *do* need it for some strange reason. Get rid of it!

I also got rid of a TON of my clothing after reading this. I wasn't wearing most of what was in my closet and drawers. It was just taking up space (in my closet and my brain).

- the way you store things does matter. I've changed the way I fold our T-shirts and it's been life-changing! Ok. That was a stretch. It *is* nice, though. There's more room in our drawers and the shirts are easier to get to. (Note: I don't do a "perfect" job of folding them, like the way she suggests, but it still works.)

A few things I didn't agree with:

- she encourages you to get rid of things that don't bring you joy. I get that. But she takes it to the next (strange) level and personifies objects and talks to them. "[say to your socks], thank you for bringing me joy when I bought you." Ahem. She also sent a text message to her old phone, thanking it for it's hard work.

Moving on.

- she doesn't think you should store the same item in two different places. For example, keep all of your scissors in one place. (I'm sure she would say you only need one pair of scissors, but humor me.) I disagree.

I have *several* pairs of scissors; kitchen scissors, office scissors, knitting scissors, sewing scissors, hair scissors.. you get the idea. Do you know how much of a pain in the rump it would be if they were all in the same place in my house? I keep each pair of scissors in the place where I use them. Much more efficient and logical, if you ask me.

All in all, though, this book was highly, highly motivating and I very much recommend it. It was a fast, easy read and has me questioning and deciding(!) what to keep and what to give away.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Excuse me...ahem...pens bring me joy.

    As for scissors, I have a pair in every top drawer of my kitchen. I always say, "you can never have too many scissors - you need them always."

    But, sounds like a great book. I wonder if I could get hubby to read it. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SO FUNNY. Seriously...ever considered stand up??? I love when you are like: Moving on. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Amy would agree with you about the pens, Linda! I'm not quite there yet.. ;o)

    I think it would help coughDeancough a lot! HA!

    Amy--I think you might be the only one that would come to my Stand Up routine. But I'll take it! BHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!