1/01/2015

Back to the Classics Challange 2015


Here are my picks for the Back to the Classics Challenge 2015. I tried to pick some that I already own since they'll probably take me a while to read and I don't want to have to keep renewing them at the library


1. A 19th Century Classic - North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I just started this and even though you're not supposed to count books that you started in 2014, I'm going to count it anyway. :) I'm crazy like that. 

2. A 20th Century Classic - The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - I'm going to try and read this outloud to the family (or just Mr. N?).


3. A Classic by a Woman Author - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I've seen the movie(s) and I adore this story.


4. A Classic in Translation - Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - Fun fact: When I was growing up, my neighbor, who was 5 years my senior, loved French class (she actually now works in linguistics in the Air Force), so by the time I was 12 I had most of the Les Mis' soundtrack memorized because she played it all the time. I don't remember much of it now, but I'm sure if I heard it it would come back to me. She also taught me a little French which prompted me to take it in high school.

5. A Very Long Classic Novel (a single work of 500 pages or longer.) - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins  - My dad bought this for me for my birthday last August and I *still* haven't read it.


6.  A Classic Novella (any work shorter than 250 pages.) - The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

7. A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Isn't this a great Robinson Crusoe cover?

8. A Humorous or Satirical Classic - Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen - Can you believe I've never read this?

9. A Forgotten Classic - Ourselves by Charlotte Mason - I'm totally copying you, Amy. Sorry. :P I was going to read it anyway so I might as well add it to this list!


10. A Nonfiction Classic - The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis - This book has been sitting on my shelf for a long, long time. Time to dust it off and read the darn thing!


11. A Classic Children's Book - Watership Down by Richard Adams - I *think* this is considered a children's book? Does anybody know? I saw the movie a long time ago and it was wonderful.

12. A Classic Play - The Admirable Crichton by James M. Barrie  - Mr. N and I saw this play at a local outdoor theater last year and we both LOVED it. Can't wait to read the book!

Have you read any of these? Any others that you'd recommend? You want to join in?

5 comments:

  1. Great titles! We share a few. (The Defoe, the Gaskell, & the Hugo. Though I think I listed them on my 2015 TBR Pile Challenge.)

    Bronte! Austen! I've read both, & you're in for a treat! Best wishes, Catie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list!!! You are SO brave to tackle Les Mis...I thought about that but it's SOOOOOOOO long. :D
    I want to borrow Moonstone some day! :) I have never read Watership Down either and have always wanted too. I think it's an AO book later, but that's a great pick!!!! I've never heard of that play...so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marianne!

    And, Amy, I've got high hopes, I know! HA! The play is REALLY funny! You should read it if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Problem of Pain is my favourite Lewis and was a pivotal book in my husband's conversion. It is edifying reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!