10/10/2014

Please Don't Say "I Could Never Do That"

I've been homeschooling for about 8 weeks. And I already couldn't tell you how many times I've heard things like this:

"I don't know how you do it!"

"I could never do that."

"I'm not patient enough to homeschool."

"I'm not organized enough to homeschool."

"I'm not ______ enough to homeschool."

Well, you know what? Neither am I. 

I do it because I want to. Because I (we) think it's best for our family. NOT because it's easy or I'm super organized or whatever.

If there's anything I've learned in the past weeks of schooling (and past 6 years of being a Stay at Home Mom) it's that it's anything but easy. And I feel less organized every day. 

That doesn't mean I'm going to give up.

Saying those things is the equivalent of saying, "I don't know how you can send your child to school everyday. Isn't that hard? Don't you miss them?" I'd venture to say it is hard for you some days. But it's your choice. You aren't doing it because it's easy or you're super organized or whatever, are you?

So please, please, don't assume that because someone has made the choice to homeschool, that's it comes naturally or easily. Because chances are, it doesn't. The hard things never do, do they?


Whew! Glad I got that off my chest in a totally non-passive-aggressive way.


2 comments:

  1. "But your kids won't be socialized!"

    But in fact, they will. And what kind of "socialization" will they get in other settings? (Got that off my chest, too.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you have firmly resolved that this is, by God's grace, what you are meant to be doing, you can persevere in anything. Marriage is a perfect example. ;)
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal 6:9 NIV

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!