9/24/2014

30 Days Clutter-Free aka Taking a Media Fast



  

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

That's how I've been feeling--life is pain. The thing is, I know things aren't that bad. Or as bad as they seem, anyway. I have a wonderful healthy family, a warm home, and I get to stay home with my children and homeschool them! Life is actually really good!

But I *do* feel like I've been under attack lately. I don't how else to put it. In every area of my life I've been feeling like I just can't. get. it. right. 



Let me explain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up.

I'll try to be brief here. It's really, really hard for me though. ;)

Basically, I've been struggling in several areas of my life lately: mostly marriage and motherhood. And, as I mentioned, I've been feeling like I just can't catch a break, I've also realized that I've been making some bad choices.

I was thinking about how I got to this place in my heart of discontentment (one of the struggles I'm having). And while I'm sure there are several factors, one of the big ones is my intake of, for lack of  a better term, secular media. Books, movies and music.

I've been reading a lot more secular fiction than usual lately and I think it's opened a doorway into my heart and has allowed discontentment to creep in. Has anyone else experienced that?

Then I started thinking about the other (bad) influences in my life: movies and music. Now, the majority of music I listen to *is* Christian--there is so much great Christian music to choose from these days! But I like a fun pop song just as much as the next girl. Don't get me wrong! I can't stand to listen to any Top 40 Crap. Can you even believe some of the songs out there today?!

I digress.

My point is, I *do* listen to the occasional secular song and when I'm going through "stuff" I've noticed that my secular to Christian music ratio goes up. Coincidental? I think not.

Another area of my life that could be more "pure" is movies. My husband and like to watch movies together. It's one of our things. But do you know how hard it is to find a good movie that isn't filled with total crap? And by "good", I mean, witty and thoughtful and, well, something that a person with an IQ higher than 40 can appreciate? It's depressing how few good movies there are.

So what ends up happening is we settle. Well, This One only has a little sex in it or That One only has mild violence. Or whatever. And before you know it, our (my) standards are lowered.

I was thinking about my struggles and then I thought about the Clutter in my life. So I decided that I would try a 30 Day Clutter-Free clean up. Also known as a Media Fast.

For the next 30 days I'm not going to read any secular fiction, listen to any secular music and try really, really hard to find(!) and watch good, clean movies. (Btw, if you have any suggestions, I'm open!)

I really feel like the Lord is telling me that if I do this, I'll be able to hear Him speak more clearly and maybe, just maybe, some of my struggles will get a little easier.

Because I'll be more focused on Him.

Have you ever taken a Media Fast? More importantly, am I the only one who can see how applicable The Princess Bride is in every day life?!

 

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I LOVE THE PRINCESS BRIDE CLIPS...I forgot how applicable some of those quotes are to life!!! :) Second of all, this is a GREAT post...VERY convicting!!! I needed to read this myself. I've done media fasts especially facebook before. I will join you in this: I need to make sure my priorities are done around here BEFORE opening a book/spending time surfing the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the movies. Blech. I'm not sure what you guys like.
    I have found some British television series that we have bought. Usually we borrowed them from the library first or saw some on Netflix before we bought a series. The Good Life, Jeeves and Wooster, Doc Martin. Some stand alone movies: The Young Victoria, Shadowlands, Remains of the Day, The Errand Boy, The Bellhop (those last two are Jerry Lewis comedies). Perhaps I should make a list on my blog as I can see I might be here a while. :) Anyway, I hope you feel renewed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - I can't even tell you how often I quote TPB. Oh wait. You probably know that already. :/

    Heather - I usually gravitate towards indie films and I like a lot of classics, too. Some of my favorites are The Princess Bride (OBVIOUSLY), The Giant Mechanical Man (have you seen that?), The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins (I NEVER get sick of Mary) -- we like pretty much any genre except really scary. Again, obviously. I'd love to read a post about your faves! DO IT! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!