8/15/2014

Week-In-A-Post

There are several "Sum Up Your Week In One Post" memes out there, but I'm too lazy to link up to them so this is my version. ;o)

Not to be confused with Egg-In-A-Polk.

- After Oldest was born, I heard about the No Poo thing. You know, you don't use shampoo to wash your hair? It sounds gross, but it's not quite that simple or *that* gross. Anyway. I tried using baking soda and vinegar to "wash" my hair, knowing that it would take a while to "even itself out." I felt so good not putting toxins into my body and going au naturel!

It didn't work. I may not have given it enough time, but my hair felt so yucky and I had a new baby(!) so I just gave up and went back to shampooing.

Recently, I decided to try again, except I thought I could just get away with washing my hair a lot less, since the baking soda thing didn't work (maybe because I have so much hair!?). I've never washed my hair daily anyway, so I thought instead of shampooing every couple days, I'll try to just shampoo once a week. It might take some time to "even itself out" but it should be ok, right?

It didn't work. 

Sigh.

So, I'm back to washing every couple days. I know there are chemicals in shampoo and I know I'm washing all the good oils away, but you know what? I. just. don't. care. 

- I deactivated my Facebook account. Again. It was too distracting and since I'm on the AO Forum, I thought it best that I use the "One In, One Out" rule, even with social media. It's so freeing!

- Week One of school was a success! We had a few interruptions here and there but overall it went swimmingly! Here's Day One in case you missed it.

And here's a free printable for you. It's Charlotte Mason's motto; I can, I am, I ought, I will.




- We found a Luna Moth while talking our daily stroll past the library on Wednesday! This is actually the second one we've seen in the last few months. Did you know that Luna Moth's don't have mouths?! They only come out of their cocoon to mate and then die after about a week! SO interesting!



Here we have it in a recreation of it's Natural Environment. *cough* Poor thing.


- We also had the pleasure of going for a Nature Walk with our homeschool group, Excelsior Guild, at a local state park.


I thought this flower, the Indian Pipe, was SO COOL! I've never seen anything like it before! From Wikipedia: "..it is white and does not contain chlorophyll. Instead of generating energy from sunlight, it is parasitic, more specifically a myco-heterotroph. Its hosts are certain fungi that are mycorrhizal with trees, meaning it ultimately gets its energy from photosynthetic trees."


We also saw all kinds of mushrooms which is always fun.




- I've been pondering something Beth Moore said at one of our Breaking Free studies a few weeks ago. She said (paraphrased) that if we, as Christians, don't stay involved and informed on what's going on around the world we'll have nothing to say or offer to our non-Christian friends. I've been really convicted by this. I'm so bad about keeping up on current events. My whole world is pretty much within these four walls. I read the newspaper from my town, but that's about it.

The few issues I have with staying informed is 1. It's hard to find news that isn't really biased (not the greatest excuse, I know), 2. as a Mama with little ones, it's difficult finding time to keep up with things and 3. the news is DEPRESSING.

The older I get the less my heart can take when it comes to all of the horrible things that go on. In my defense, I do stay a little bit informed on some issues (sexual trafficking, for one) but it weighs me down so much to think about all of the evil in this world. Any suggestions for good news sources? Ones that won't make me want to go on anti-depressants?


If you're not lazy like me and want to join in on Week-In-A-Post, add your link to the comments! If all 3 of you want to do it, I'll add a linky thingy.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE newsy posts...sooo this is GREAT! The Luna Moth is so pretty!!! I totally hear ya on the news thing...I went to The Drudge report the other day and it was SOOOO sickening. :(

    How did your little nature journaling outing go?

    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!