8/13/2014

How Big is Your God?

Have you seen this post about what Gungor believes? Interesting, eh?

First I want to say that we're probably not getting the whole story. You really can't understand a person fully through *one* blog post. (I hope I'm not judged too harshly by some of my posts!)

I'd love to have a conversation in real life with Mr. Gungor. But since I can't do that, I'm going to take this at face value and honestly? it makes me a little sad. I'm no theologian (as if you were wondering) but I'm not sure how, as a Christian, you can not believe in a six day Creation.

What about the fact that flowers were created on one day and THE SUN was created the NEXT DAY? Am I the only one who understands that flowers and trees can't live very long without sunlight? It's not rocket scientry, people! <--that was a joke.

Why is it so hard to believe that GOD is GOD?! If your god can't do amazing things, I'm sorry. But my God can.
 "An open mind, in questions that are not ultimate, is useful. But an open mind about the ultimate foundations either of Theoretical or of Practical Reason is idiocy." C. S. Lewis
Why do we have to try and rationalize everything about God? It's comforting for me on some level to know that I'll never know or understand everything about God. I'm glad I don't understand everything. I would have a hard time believing in a God who is easily comprehended.
“To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul’s paradox of love.” A.W. Tozer

My point is, why can't we just believe that God created the universe in six days? Why do we have to make it fit into our little box? Who wants to believe in a God who does ordinary, predictable things? Not this girl.

I'm not going to say something like this affects one's salvation; only God knows our hearts. But if you start doubting the Bible (or watering it down or not taking it literally) where does it stop? Again, I'm just a girl with an opinion, not a theologian, so take this with a grain of salt.

Obviously, the post by Michael Gungor has a lot more in it than just the Creation issue, but that's all I have time for right now. Also? I don't know enough about all that other stuff to comment.

I *do* know that the Bible is true. Every word of it. And I'm taking that to the bank.
What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. You know, these kinds of "arguments" given from a simple, non-theological perspective can be some of the most powerful and profound.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I always go back and forth on posting stuff like this, but hopefully it came across the way I intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a theologian, Catie. We all are, if we think about or study who God is. I know nothing about this Gungor guy, and I only skimmed the post, but when someone jettisons beliefs, yet proclaims that some beliefs are "a destructive way of seeing the world", I would love to know how he knows that for certain. We are told to be watchful of those among the visible church, some of them are wolves. How do know when someone is a wolf? You obviously need criteria. He also seems to engage in the either-or fallacy. "People are more important than ideas" Really?
    Okay, I'll stop now, since I've already admitted I didn't really read the whole article. Let's just say, our church had to deal with our younger pastor who was preaching similar things about the Bible. It's heartbreaking, really to see people go this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!