8/11/2014

Day One of School--A Success!


Today was our very first day of "real" school. Of course we've been learning and I've been teaching since the day my kids were born, but today was the first day of "let's sit down and do this work together until it's done" kind of school.

I have to say.. I kind of loved it.

I realize I still have my First Year Rose Colored Glasses on and today was *only* the first day, but humor me. ;o)

Oldest was so excited as well. She did her Morning Routine (potty, teeth, dress, etc) faster than she ever had!


This photo may or may not have been reenacted because a *certain* mother may or may not have forgotten to take a picture while actually in school. *ahem* Also? Notice the cute baby bum in the background. :)
Our library/school basket.

In case this is your first time here, we're using the curriculum at Ambleside Online. I'm so, so grateful to all the women there who've put so much time and effort into AO. What a huge blessing!

I thought I'd share our schedule with you. I always love seeing what other families' schedules are like. I've examined all kinds of blogs (Ordo Amoris, Afterthoughts, Our Journey Westward to name a few), picked my friends-in-real-life brains and of course, been on the AO Forum and this is the schedule I came up with that will (for now) work best for our family. I'm sure it will change as time goes on, but it's a good starting point.

EDIT: This is my schedule. I have taken the curriculum at AO and made it my own. If you'd like to see the original AO schedule for Year 1, please go HERE.



As you can see, the times don't quite match up. In case you're wondering where *I* learned how to add, I did that on purpose. For example, school starts at 8am with 40 minutes allotted for Circle Time (Oldest informed me that she'd like it to be called "Morning Time") then Chores start at 9am. That's because I want some margin in my day. With a 10 month old and 4 year old, there *are* interruptions. You're shocked, I know.

 Is he cute or what?! He's standing almost on his own now. *sniff* 
He'll be in school before we know it!

I also tried to break up our school morning with "Tea/Snack Time", chores and time outside. (I was inspired by the schedule over at Nelleke's blog.) That also gives me time to switch a load of laundry, put dishes away, etc.

Page 2 is our Friday work which I tried to keep a little more laid-back. We'll still do Bible, a few Circle Time items and Math, then the rest of the day will be things like Nature Study, Handicrafts and our Timeline. I may add more Art other than drawing in our Nature Journals at some point.

Here's our Timeline:


I put the Basic Overview of Year 1 on my schedule because I wanted a reminder of what books are for what subjects. Some of the books we read can be for several subjects and I like to have an idea of what's what.

Finally, Page 3 is Oldest's Schedule. I know she'll like to take some ownership over her schedule but I think it's good for her to do so as well. I'm going to add the list of Free Reads to her schedule so she can choose which one she'd like to read and so we can keep track of them.

Our stack of Read Aloud's for Oldest; the books she reads to me. 

I typed in most of the assignments for this week, but I'm not sure if I'll always do that. Printing a bunch of blank copies then writing the assignments in with pencil might be a bit easier, since realistically, we might not stay on schedule.  

A few other extras that are in our School Binders:

- Calendars - my girls love to fill these out. I don't worry if we don't do them though. They sort of learn about days just through everyday life.

- Bible Reading Chart 

I know this is kind of early to be starting, only being the middle of August, but we're going to try the 6 week on/1 week off schedule then take only about 2 months off in the summer.

So! Off to bed I go so I can get some rest for Day Two!


9 comments:

  1. Looks GREAT, Catie!!! Your enthusiasm (sp?!) is so exciting to ME, woman!!! I'm glad to have someone to do this home edjamacatin with... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Woman! :) It IS so great to do this with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say how blessed you are to have a kindred spirit in Amy in your neck of the woods and to homeschool with too!!! I've been reading both of your blogs for a while now and want to say your kids are lucky to have you!! I'm a homeschooling mama to five gifts from heaven and tomorrow is our official first day of school. It was encouraging to read about your first day. Your enthusiasm was catching!!
    Catherine in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO MUCH, Catherine! (that's my name too! :) What a sweet, encouraging comment! THANKS!!

    Amy is SUCH a blessing, for sure! I don't take her for granted.

    I hope your first day and week go well! Are you on the AO forum?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I'm not on the AO forum, but I do get lots of inspiration, ideas and book recommendations from ambleside. We started using My Fathers World a few years ago, before I even knew about Ambelside. But it is so intriguing to me, I mean, a free Charlotte Mason based curriculum? Is it hard to put together or is it laid out pretty straightforward?
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, to be honest, it took me a while, once I started actually planning, to understand how it all worked but I may not be the best person to ask! I think it's partly because this is my first year really homeschooling. You might "get it" better if this ain't your first rodeo! HA! I like that it's all there for you. I think I'd have a hard time not only picking the books I want to use but narrowing it down. I'm so thankful for the AO Advisory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to hear all about it! But, you showed a book basket and only one of the titles was visible!! That's criminal!
    Aren't books great, and so are babies.

    p.s. thanks for showing the spines in the second book photo, you are almost forgiven.
    p.s.s. I am not going to use smiley faces, I hope my attempt to be humorous doesn't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Sorry, Heather! I'll try to do better next time.. :P Do you see the orangish one? It's called Dandelion Hill; we read it last night and it's WONDERFUL! If you haven't already, you need to check it out. What a great story. And, YES! It doesn't get much better than books'n babies. (That'd be a great name for a blog, too. Hmm... But that sort of implies that one might not be done having babies. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I digress.)

    FYI: Smiley faces not required. (I feel like I should put a smiley face after that!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm well past the years of home schooling, but I did enjoy this post alot. Imagining your days and seeing your flexibility with yourself are refreshing. God bless you all in this newest phase of your lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!