7/06/2014

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You... Flip Out


(You only need to watch the first 30 seconds of this, although the whole thing is pretty funny.)



 Well, don't worry, don't worry. I'm not gonna do what you all think I'm gonna do which is..  FLIP OUT!!

I've flipped out a few times in the past week or so. Sigh.

Parenting is tough work. It's wonderful and rewarding, to be sure, but it's tough. I've had a few conversations recently (read: past few YEARS) that go like this,

Child: These shorts are TOO TIGHT!

Me: Then take them off.

Child: I don't want to!!

Me: Then leave them on.

Child: But they're too tight!!!

Me: THEN TAKE THEM OFF.

Child: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Me: (flipping out)
You might be wondering why, I, an adult, would try to rationalize with a child under the age of 5 and then be frustrated when it doesn't work.
 
*crickets chirping*

I've got nothin'.

All I can say is that I'm a work in progress and some days are better than others.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. - Phil 1:6
I also want to add that having a difficult child is a GREAT way to stretch yourself. Incidentally, I've grown a heckuva lot in the last few years. HA!


Aren't they cute? :) 

We're in a particularly tough season right now. Sort of reminds me of the time when Middlest was colicky and we had a 2 year old. That was easily one of the hardest times of my life. I've never felt so stretched to the limit of what I thought I could take.

These are the times in my life when I start to ask God, "Why?" or if I'm honest, "WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?" *arms and hands stretched towards the sky*

Because if you're "in it" for a while, say a month or two, you think, Man, this is tough! But the Lord has a plan I just know it! Something good will come out of this, I just know it! 

And then a few more months go by and you think, Wow. This is a really long season of hardship. It's just GOT to get easier soon. I'm pretty sure it will..

And then a few more months go by and you think, Ok, God. I haven't heard from you in a long while about this... What's the deal?

And then, finally, Ok, God. Where are you? Can you hear me? What am I doing wrong?!? 

I'm sort of at that last one. I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing. Like, instead of failing the test, I'm thinking did I just totally miss it? 

I'm pretty sure this theology is just in my head and is something I just need to work out in my head and heart. But has anyone else been there? What do you do?

What do you do when you have a child that you can't imagine life without, but day after long day nothing seems to change? Or for those of you that don't have small children, anything that you've been praying about for forever and don't see any changes..

I know what you do. You keep on keepin' on. You don't give up. Because He doesn't give up. And because He is faithful and there IS a plan and a purpose, even if I don't see it. And the things that aren't a part of God's plan, He'll work out. 

He's got this. 

Even if some days, I don't.
As for me, I call to God,
and the Lord saves me.
Evening, morning and noon
I cry out in distress,
and he hears my voice. - Psalm 55: 16, 17

4 comments:

  1. ~sigh~ I will remember to pray for you all more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flip out clip is soooo funny. Which movie is that???? I forget! :P

    I'd love to go out with coffee with you soon. You can "flip out" to me! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the conversation you had...eventually, I'd probably just ignore the culprit. :P I know that is easier said then done. Another thing...remember DO NOT TAKE THINGS PERSONALLY. I always find myself "flipping" out MORE when I somehow take an offense at whatever they are doing/saying...ie. "Mom, I hate this cheese on my sandwich." (inside I'm thinking that I am the worse cook in the world - taking it personally) Instead if I can have a "neutral" view of things, it makes it much easier for ME, personally, not to freak. Ok, so they don't like cheese. "Take as many bites as you are old and then you can be done" or whatever..."I'm sorry you don't like that cheese, but you need to try it."
    I most definitely PICK my battles too. Some things I let go. I ignore. I lower my standards etc. Just brain storming here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth the clip is from Jerry McGwire.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!