4/03/2014

The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness


The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness by Timothy Keller -- One of the best and shortest books I've read. Maybe ever. I've been chewing on it's message ever since I finished it a month ago.

He refers to 1 Corinthians 4:1-4 a lot in the book:

This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.

What if we NEVER thought of (or judged) OURSELVES? Can you even imagine what that would be like? No, you can't. Because you're human. I can't either. Because, I, too am human and not perfect. But I think it's a good goal.

I've been mulling it over in terms of what it means in some areas of my life lately, especially online, because that's where it's so easy to portray yourself as something you're not.

It's also so easy over-think everything. (Online and not.) Should I have "liked" that comment? Should I have posted that? Should I comment on that!? Etcetera! Etcetera! It becomes so much about ME, ME, ME!

I've lain (laid??) awake at night going over and over something stupid I've said to someone hoping that they weren't offended. Anyone else do that? What a waste of time and energy. I usually end up finding out that that person never gave my comment a second thought.
  
Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? ~Matthew 6:7

And really, it just boils down to pride. 

I'm so concerned about "what they might think of me!" When instead, my thoughts should be of other people. Period. Not what other people think of me. Sigh. I'll get there someday maybe. Here's hoping!
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. ~ Colossians 3:17 (emphasis mine)
This short, little book has left a big impression on me. Catherine at A Spirited Mind has a much more eloquent review of it, if you're interested. :)

Have you read it? What are your thoughts?

The Kindle version of this book is only $1.62!! And if you buy it through that link, I get a small, small commission. :) Thanks for supporting our family! 

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!