4/27/2014

Maths

Homeschooling is taking over my brain! I can hardly think about anything else these days. Which means it'll probably also be taking over my blog... *ahem*

I'm so excited to get started! Well, that's not entirely true. We have started a little already. Formal schooling, that is. Children are always learning. :)

Things we've been doing more formally are maths (don't you love how the Brits and Aussies call math "maths"?) and a little writing/spelling. Oh, and Circle Time. My girls love Circle Time.

Circle Time (sometimes called Morning Time) is a time, usually first thing in the morning, when the family learns together. Here's a great post from Brandy and whole series on it from Cindy. For our Circle Time right now we do Swedish Drills (exercise), poetry and Bible reading. Soon we'll add Hymns, artist and composer study.

Speaking of mathS, up until recently, I'd been having trouble deciding on a math program to use. There are just so many to choose from. I had it narrowed down to Math-U-See, Singapore or Saxon. Mostly because, in the circles I run in, those are the most common.

Then I came across this post from Brandy where she mentions MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme). I checked into it and that's what we're going to use. The things that I like about it, based on what others are saying, are:
  • it's cyclical,
  • it incorporates logic into the teaching, 
  • it's scripted, which is good for someone like *me* who struggled with math from day one, 
  • and it's FREE. Well, it's free except for the paper and ink you pay for to print the worksheets and teacher manuals. But you don't have to print everything. I'm printing it all for now until I get more comfortable with the program.
To be honest, figuring out how to teach MEP seemed a little daunting at first--there are many documents to wade through. But after reading this post, MEP 101, from Jeanne at A Peaceful Day and this one from Fisher Academy I feel more confident. I've also joined the Yahoo group and of course, the AO Forum is a huge help. So much help is available and I'm so grateful!

We did the first two lessons yesterday and it went well. I think she "gets" math (a lot more than I did at this age!) so I'm hoping MEP will be a good fit for her and the others, when the time comes. I'll try to remember to keep you posted.


Along with MEP we're going to do Life of Fred. Life of Fred is more of a living book and from what I understand LoF is great at helping children to see and understand math on whole new level. Here's an excerpt from their website (in case you didn't click over):
"These books are designed to make your child THINK!.....They learn to apply to current questions the concepts previously taught. Upon completion they will understand how math works, why it works, and how to apply it. They will know the formulas and how to apply them in real-life situations, not just situations created for a textbook."
So there you have it! More than you EVER wanted to know about what we'll be doing for maths! ;)

Now I'm off to print some more worksheets..

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering what "Circle Time" is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I forgot to add the link! :) I'm fixing it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a GREAT plan! :) I'm guessing by this point you are farther into the MEPs! I hope it is going well for you! Josie is doing LoF this year along with some other mathS ;) Josie needs the WHY, particularly in life in general.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!