2/10/2014

Living simply and with intention


This post is (SO LATE!!) part of the Blue Bike Blog Tour, which I'm thrilled to be a part of! To learn more and join us, head here.

I always get this feeling after I have a baby. This feeling of wanting to remove every single little thing in my life that doesn't serve a purpose. If you have children, you know that along with making life wonderful and a thousand times more beautiful than anyone could have ever told you, they also make life messy and a little more, well... messy. This desire to purge everything and reduce my home to just things that I love and find useful has come after each of my 3 babies.

But eventually, life goes on and my resolve to live more simply fades. I start to succumb to the fast-paced, go-go-go way of life. I'll admit, I'm the most extroverted person I know, so it's sometimes a struggle for me to be at peace with just being at home. I want to be out! I want to be doing! I want to be socializing!

But in my heart, really deep down, what I really want is to enjoy and soak up this time in my life with small children. I love being a Mama so much and I don't want to wake up one day and realize that while I was busy taking my children on playdates they grew up and left home!

I want to savor these moments.


And maybe since this is my third child, (isn't he adorable?) I'm feeling even more this way. With every child we have, we obtain more and more stuff and time is becoming a hot commodity.

So the book, Notes From a Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenrieder could not have come at a better time. Incidentally, I read Tsh's book, Organized Simplicity when my first child was still a baby which was also perfect timing. ;)

So much in Notes From a Blue Bike resonated with me, but the thing that stuck out the most is just learning to slow down. To take my time making dinner, taking time to put my laundry on the line and taking time to just...ahhhh.... breathe. We are so used to rushing around and moving quickly to the "next thing" that in the meantime our family life is getting pushed to the wayside.

I want to be the mom that says "Yes" when my 3 year old wants to play CandyLand for the 16th time. I want to say "Yes" when my 5 year old wants me to watch her dance around the living room. I don't want to feel guilty about having a conversation that consists of high-pitched cooing sounds with my sweet baby boy.
  Middlest LOVES to be in the kitchen.

Not only do I want to slow down, I also want to be more intentional. In one chapter, Tsh talks about being intentional with the food you prepare and serve to your family. That's not easy to do, especially for someone like me who hates really doesn't love cooking. But I'm trying. I really want to teach my children to enjoy cooking and get good at it, so I need to be able to take my time with it.

These are all great ideas, but they are just that--ideas. Here are a few things I'm actually doing to live more simply and intentionally. (Some of these are things I've started before but just gotten out of the habit of doing. *ahem* Here's to new beginnings!)

  • Stop trying to multitask. Multitasking just doesn't work. I'm trying to start ONE thing and FINISH it before moving on to the next. This is not easy with toddlers (I've been interrupted at least 6 times while writing this post and it's quiet time!), but just the fact that I'm trying is helpful. I think. I can't promise that I'll only read one book at a time though. Sometimes I'm in the mood for fiction, sometimes I'm not!
  • Stay home more. Ok. I'm totally cheating on this one. We're down to one car right now, so I kind of don't have a choice but to stay home everyday. But there's something peaceful about the daily routine. And my girls are starting to expect something great and exciting to happen everyday! Well, that just isn't life and I want the special things to remain special. Not having a car is causing some major stir-craziness, but we're making it through. I'm DYING FOR SPRING though. I have a sweet friend who said to me last week, "I feel like Spring was just a dream!" I hear ya, Sister.
  • Stay off of the computer more. This is something I'm always fighting against. There's always just one more email to send, one more quick glance at Facebook, one more blog post to read or write, etc. I'm really trying (and have gotten so much better in this area) to have blocks of time when I'm online; naptime or other down times. There's always room for improvement though.
  • Enjoy the simple things. I've been spending more time knitting and crocheting (I'm hoping to post pictures soon!) and those are great ways to slow down. 

I hope this post has inspired you. :) 


Notes From a Blue Bike is written by Tsh Oxenreider, founder and main voice of The Art of Simple. "It doesn’t always feel like it, but we DO have the freedom to creatively change the everyday little things in our lives so that our path better aligns with our values and passions." Grab your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds so good! I'm like you- always wanting to de-clutter and simplify! It makes me feel like I can think better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!