10/24/2013

Birth Story #2: Middlest

Read my first birth story here. Here's Baby #2's (Middlest's) story:

This was, by far, my most uneventful and easiest labor and delivery to date.

I mentioned in my first birth story that I have a problem with rashes. I'm allergic to progesterone, so when I'm pregnant I get an itchy rash. (APD)
 

When I was about 6 weeks pregnant with Baby #2, I started to get itchy bumps on my shins. I panicked! I thought, I have 8 months to go! I can't itch for the next 8 months! I went to see my midwife and she referred me to a dermatologist and it was then that I was diagnosed with APD.

I had known something wasn't right, though, because ever since my pregnancy with Baby #1, I would get a few itchy bumps on my extremities each month at a certain time. *ahem* But finally, I had a name for it. But, like I said, I also had a LONG way to go and wasn't sure I could itch for 9 months!

I actually did end up itching for the whole pregnancy. I had a rash on my belly and upper thighs, but I was using an anti-itch cream and taking Benedryl and those were helpful in managing it. I did end up making it through to the end. ;)

This time around, I was determined to let things happen naturally. I just wanted my baby to come when she was good and ready. And thankfully, she did.

I love this picture! My friend IRL, Amy took it. :) Oldest was about 20 months here.

A few days after my due date, around 2 or 3 in the morning, I started to feel strongish contractions starting. They weren't too consistent though. I kept timing them and eventually they started coming pretty regularly, so at about 5am-ish, I woke up the Mr. and we started getting ready to go to the hospital. I called my midwife and at 6am we were headed to a friend's house to drop off Oldest.

We arrived at the hospital around 7am and the contractions kept coming and they were *pretty* strong, but in hindsight, I could have probably stayed home longer. I remember thinking during most of the morning, Hey! I'm actually not doing too bad. I definitely had to breath through each one, but they were manageable. (I didn't realize at the time that those weren't the horrible You Did This to Me! contractions.) I sat in the tub for a little while to help with the pain, but I just felt really uncomfortable and annoyed. I think if I had waited until the REAL contractions started to sit in the tub, it may have done a better job at pain relief.


It seemed like labor wasn't progressing very quickly. So at about 1pm, my midwife asked me if I wanted her to break my water to get things moving. I really didn't want my birthing experience augmented in any way, but things were going slow, and I figured breaking my water was a semi-natural way to get things going.

It was then that the Oh My This Is What Contractions Feel Like contractions started. It was also then that I decided I really couldn't do it without drugs. So I had my midwife call the anesthesiologist.

I can't remember exactly when I received the epidural, but I do know that the anesthesiologist had just left the room along with the midwife and nurses and they told me to call them when I felt the urge to push. Immediately after they left (like, they were still closing the door), I felt the urge to push and 20 minutes later, our second baby girl was born! I didn't even receive the drugs from the epidural because she came so quickly!


 Middlest, present day. 

 Stay tuned for Birth Story #3. FINALLY. He might be 2 years old before I get it posted!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catie! You asked about my baby carrier on my blog. It's an Ergo carrier. I LOVE it!!! It's so comfy and you can wear your baby on your front or back, up to 35lb. Highly recommend! How are you??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!