8/12/2013

We Do *Very* Well

This morning a vacuum representative came to our home to clean our carpets. HOORAY for a FREE carpet cleaning!

She was very inquisitive, just trying to make conversation, I'm sure. Part of the conversation went something like this:

Your husband's at work?
Yes
What's he do?
Maintenance at a hotel.
You stay at home with your kids, then?
Yes, I do.
Well, your husband must do very well, if you're able to stay at home.

My first reaction was to laugh at her. I didn't of course, because that would be rude, but I honestly didn't know what to say for a second. I ended up saying something like,

Well, not really; we make a lot of sacrifices and God is really good to us.

Oldest and me on a date at our local zoo.

The thing is, regardless of being a stay-at-home-mom or a work-from-home-mom or a work-full-time-mom we all make sacrifices. At the end of the day, we choose what we deem most important in our lives. 

For some, it's that their children go to the best schools, they drive the best cars, live in the best homes, etc. I would say that time is sacrificed in those situations.

For others it might be time and money. I'm sure work-at-home-moms have to sacrifice some time to get their work done. I've been there and would like to contribute to our income someday soon again doing something from home.

And still for others, like us right now, we sacrifice a lot of the "niceties" (read: money) in life.

For example:
  • We don't own or ever buy new furniture. We bought our bed brand new about 6ish years ago and that's it.
  • We don't go on yearly vacations. 
  • We rarely buy new clothing.
  • We shop at thrift stores a lot.
  • Our home could use some TLC, but we just can't afford it right now. (i.e. walls painted, update bathroom, new carpeting, etc)
  • We live paycheck to paycheck. 

Oh sure, there are days when I get complainy about what we're lacking in tangibles. I would LOVE to redo our bathroom. (It's the size of a sardine can.) And there are so many a few things that I would love to buy to make my life easier.


Don't get me wrong, I buy an occasional coffee from Starbucks and we splurge on things here and there. Although, my husband recently took over our finances (of which I'm grateful) so I might be buying less coffees from now on...

Technically, we are considered at the "Poverty Level." Which is so funny, because I never feel poor We live paycheck to paycheck but really, we live like kings compared to a lot of the rest of the world.

The girls riding an elephant at the circus.

Oh sure, we make sacrifices, but the time I get to spend at home with my children is FAR BEYOND worth it. It's priceless. 

Because of the "sacrifices" we make, I get to be the one to hear first words, watch first steps or any other "first milestone" for that matter, and I get to be the one to kiss every boo-boo, read every book and just be with my children.

So, yes, Ms. Vacuum Rep, we do very well, but not in the way you might think. 


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. ~ Matthew 6:25-34




2 comments:

  1. I love this!! So true. I just shared this on Twitter, fabulous article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jess! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's encouraging!